1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 08:39
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What's the big deal, 2 answers, i and -i. Is this really deep or something?
    You're right, sonhouse, it's elementary. It's nothing deep about it. Taught in school, kid level.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:00
    What's the big deal, 2 answers, i and -i. Is this really deep or something?
    The big deal is that he didn't know it. It took another person to tell him.

The big deal is that it is another example of why the solution to the sqare root of -x is i absolute value of x if you want to deal with i's.

No matter how you slice it, kids are shown this stuff but very few people understand it. This includes those who are paid to teach it.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:071 edit
    I think the square root of minus one, i is not false, it is a definition.
    It is negative one. Negative is a sign while minus is another name for subtraction which is an operation.

Children should be taught this distinction in school.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:09
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The big deal is that he didn't know it. It took another person to tell him.

The big deal is that it is another example of why the solution to the sqare root of -x is i absolute value of x if you want to deal with i's.

No matter how you slice it, kids are shown this stuff but very few people understand it. This includes those who are paid to teach it.
    I didn't give the solution, it's embarrassingly trivial.
    You didn't give the solution, it's way to advanced for you.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:22
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    I didn't give the solution, it's embarrassingly trivial.
    You didn't give the solution, it's way to advanced for you.
    I am sure it was embarrassing for you. Lucky someone stepped in to save you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:27
    Er, did you take a look at his chess rating here? He is one of the more intelligent people on RHP and if he says it was trivial you might give him the benefit of the doubt.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 10:34
    When I teach people in math, as I teached you, I never give the answer right away, I let the grasshopper find the solution himself. You never did.
    Have you learnt something in this lesson? No? Sorry to hear...
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 11:451 edit
    Er, did you take a look at his chess rating here? He is one of the more intelligent people on RHP and if he says it was trivial you might give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Chess rating and math knowledge, even basic doesn't always go hand in hand.

As in this case, f believes that i is a real number. He also believes that since i exists, a negative number squared is negative.

He has rral holes in his understanding. Just as you thought that squaring the square root of x would also be the abdolute value of x.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 12:26
    When I teach people in math, as I teached you, I never give the answer right away, I let the grasshopper find the solution himself. You never did.
    Have you learnt something in this lesson? No? Sorry to hear...
    If you are a math teacher I'd say you teach math without physical understanding but from a theoretical pattern point of view. In other words only a small fraction of people will be successful in your classes.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 12:30
    If you are a math teacher I'd say you teach math without physical understanding but from a theoretical pattern point of view. In other words only a small fraction of people will be successful in your classes.
    Sorry, I've been tired to discuss this with you.
    I suggest you quit too.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 12:41
    Sorry, I've been tired to discuss this with you.
    I suggest you quit too.
    Yep, figured.

No real discussion just a different approach. One is that math is only for the few while the other is math being inclusive. It is nearly impossible for the few to see it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree